Saturday, September 29, 2007

Why we have no money left this week

I went with Helen and her friend Courtney to see Mooney and His Lucky Rhythm on Monday night, at Thumbs Up in Yokohama. I was a treat to see the full band. That music makes me so happy. They did the most wonderful version of "Minnie the Moocher" I have ever heard, outside Cab Calloway's.

Helen had a bunch of us (me, Martine, her new roommate Greg - a Canadian microbiologist!- , and Ma-chan) go to see Psysalia Psysalis Psyche (I think that's right) on Wednesday, in Shibuya somewhere. It was their first show by themselves, and they should be very pleased with the turnout. The place was packed, and crazy, which was very impressive for a Wednesday. I met a slew of new people, including a very tall guy from Seattle, a couple of German girls on holiday, and Olga, the dunk/crazy Russian woman, who was armed with a harmonica and a microphone that wasn't plugged into anything. She played us many "songs," flashed us (I missed it, but Martine has pictures), and tried to seduce Helen. She also made me play some "songs" on her harmonica. Martine had her camera, and mine wasn't really up to the task in that lighting, so I have taken the liberty of stealing a few photos from her (with her blessing). Classes the blog up.








































































Jeff was out Thursday, seeing some band he met at the airport when he flew back in from the states. Friday, I was out in Tokyo with Martine. We were supposed to go to a gallery party that we learned about from someone we met at the PPP show, but when we got there, we found out that it's next weekend. So we just went to Araku. Pretty quiet night, basically Martine, Luke, Ashley, and me, recommending movies to each other. It was attack of the Aussies: they made me try Vegemite on toast, which I must admit, I rather liked.

I am proud of myself in that I took the last train home each night I was out and walked the 35-40 minutes home from the station (mostly uphill, too!). Saved a lot on taxis and got some great exercise.

Tonight, we are apparently having a party. There was supposed to be a Buzz-B-Q tomorrow, but it was raining today and it's too chilly, so it has turned into a small party tonight in order to get rid of all that beer and food. Tomorrow, I have my first Japanese home-cooking lesson with Aokisan (Kumi's mom). Cynthia will be joining us. I don't know what state I will be in afterwards, because the 3 of us have never been together without copious amounts of alcohol. This country is going to destroy my liver.

Next week, Helen and I leave for Okinawa! That has been my mantra for when the kids are driving me nuts: I close my eyes and chant o-ki-na-wa...

We are going to try and get tattoos. Seems like the thing to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger MissSin said...

you're a busy little money, aren't you? and we've got OKINAWA!!!!!!

am SO looking forward to it. need to escape the drudgery & grime of the big smoke.
AND i checked there weather - 30 degrees and sunny for the rest of the week. WOOHOO! and someone told about an awamori (okinawan sake...very VERY strong sake) factory where can taste the stuff for free! WOOHOO!!

so that's before or after the tattoo?!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home