Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Party Time

We decided it was time to host another party. Though Jeff doesn't want to call them 'parties,' but 'dinners,' since they revolve around food. However, since they seem to revolve equally around alcohol, I don't see anything wrong with calling them parties. Whatever.

We had some of the usual suspects show, plus some unexpected faces, like Suzan (the photographer/Blue Corn fixture), Chris (whom Jeff met at Japan Orientation), Sakai (candlemaker extraordinaire), Ojiji (not sure where he came from), Hiroko (replacing Tai-chan as Macky's personal assistant?), and Abbey (and his Dingo, or Shiba Inu or whatever). Judging from the amount of people passed out on the floor at various points in the evening, it was a success. Apparently some of the 'sleeping' were attacked with markers, but I was already in bed. I can't believe no one took pictures of that.



















































































































































We did have lovely food. I tried out chicken-stuffed mushroom caps (yum) and Southeast Asian Imperial Rolls (lemme tell you, rice paper is hard to work with when totally sober, yet alone halfway through the evening, which was necessary because I had to wait for Suzan to show up with the carrots that Jeff spaced), and I put out Valerie's Hot-Sweet Peppers over cream cheese. Macky made a bunch of nabe pot stuff, like shabu shabu and some other yummy soup-stuff. (I have so much leftover food in my fridge that I have to get really creative this week to get rid of it all. I have no idea what to do with all that cabbage. The 16 different kinds of mushrooms are going to be soup today.) I think I also figured out why the massive amounts of rice Jeff always has me make never gets eaten: I read that rice isn't generally eaten with alcohol, since the traditional alcohol of choice, sake, is made from rice and is thus considered a substitute for it. Figures the Japanese would consider alcohol a food group.

There were a bunch of bizarre photos taken (this is what happens when you are not in control of your camera), but Flickr is being uncooperative at the moment. I'll post a link later. In the meantime, here's Macky playing air-guitar on a gobo, or burdock root.



In other news, Jeff may be buying a car today, for those trips that the bus-and-train transportation option makes inconvenient, and for weekend/summer roadtrips. So let's see, I'm a housewife who volunteers at the kids' library, my kids play soccer after school, and we're getting a minivan. But, whatever, I'm still in Japan.

About a week and half 'til we go to Singapore!

2 Comments:

Blogger MissSin said...

yeah, you are turning into the super houseife, aren't you? think you're starting to get a sort of robotic sheen to you - kind fo like a stepford wife...

so, think you need to be blue-corned, just to prove you're not getting totally house-wifed.
definitely time for a stupid night out (as opposed to a stupid night in...was a fun party - well, what i remember of it...)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

Hell, yeah. Friday?

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home